Ok firstly can we get a hell yeah! and secondly can I get some Red Bull or Monster energy drink. Yes I woke up at 3am to watch the Sony E3 2013 press conference live, I mean come on this is the PS4 and the news that is going to run our lives for the next decade. Well done Sony.
Ok so only did Sony play all the right cards they also had some tricks and spare aces to use. There has been many concerns before E3 with regards to the rumours about always online, used games and price. Microsoft didn’t help the case with their reveal a few weeks back of the new Xbox One, confirming that it requires to be online every 24hrs for a sort of check in to verify games as well as not supporting used games. This is really taking away the whole console gaming experience.
Yesterday Microsoft revealed more of the console as well as a hefty price tag of $499. Well let’s just say that the Internet and the gaming community were not happy with the news. No fear Sony to the rescue! As many tweets are saying Sony have won the war and the show with their press conference. I must admit I was like a kid again during the conference and I think what made me happy is that they met some, almost most of my expectations. And the way Sony did it was literately like smacking Microsoft in the face.
Ok so enough lets break it down exactly what you will get as you buy the PS4.
PS4 Everything revealed from E3 2013
- The PS4 will come in “Jet Black” and will launch this November in USA and Europe.
- More than 110 titles coming to the PS4, of which +- 40 or so will be exclusives
- Will come with a 500gb hard drive
- Approximate dimensions of the console 275×53×305 mm (width × height × length)
- Weight +- 2.8kg
- Included Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK®4) × 1, Mono headset × 1, AC power cord × 1, HDMI cable × 1, USB cable × 1
- Cross game chat
- PS4 will support used games
- No online check in connectivity required
- PS Plus subscriptions will transfer across and continue
- PS Plus membership required for online play with PS4
- A shit load of games were showcased and revealed as Sony states they are all about games
- PS3 games will be playable via the streaming network of Gaikai releasing in 2014
- Priced at $399 / €399 / £349 Roughly R4000 (most likely will be here at R4500 I guess)
The below videos shows us the crowds reactions to the reveal of the above news. People are happy, and I believe that it is exactly the right price and features for the next generation of consoles.
Sony even make an official “How to share games on the PS4″ instructional video. Which I have posted below.
That being said there are still some questions to be answered:
- Will the hard drive still be swappable as with the PS3? (sure it will be)
- What is the exact release date?
- Will you be able to play against PS3 gamers / friends?
- Was it the Code of Assassins Creed 4 that broke or was it a PS4 hardware issue?
So there you have it. What were your thoughts of the conference and what questions do you have? Let us know below.
BONUS: I found this great comparison image of Xbox One and PS4.