It’s been a while since there was a new firmware for the PS3 and yesterday the latest version, 4.20, went live and is a mandatory update. This version come with a few updates that are worth it and welcomed. Check below for download links to the EU and US versions of the firmware and directions on how to install it via USB.
The 4.20 Update includes:
- Power Save settings – you can now set the amount of time until the system automatically turns off for [Video/TV/Music/Photo] and for [Game/Other Features].
- Game Save – you can now select multiple saved data items, and then either delete or copy them as a group.
- Wireless stereo headset – When the wireless stereo headset is connected, you can now adjust the sidetone level for microphone audio. In addition, if you use the Wireless Stereo Headset to watch Blu‐ray Disc or DVD movies on your PS3 system, this system software update will also enable virtual surround sound functionality giving you a superior audio experience.
How to install direct download Firmware onto Ps3:
- Before starting, use your PC to create a folder named ‘PS3′ on the storage media or USB device. Within the folder, create a folder named ‘UPDATE’ (This folder name is case sensitive and must appear in all capital letters). Once the UPDATE folder has been created, download the PS3 system software update (The link above) to this location.
- Once the update data has been saved, disconnect the storage device and connect it to your PS3 via the slots under the slot cover or the USB connectors depending on the device you’re using.
- Once connected, navigate to Settings on the PS3 Home Menu, select [System Update] and then [Update via Storage Media]. Select the connected device and your PS3 will install the update data stored there.